Taunton Fire is a career department with a staff of 127 firefighters that responds to 11,000 runs annually. The department serves over 56,000 people within an area of over 48 square miles of varying landscape. We operate out of 5 stations as well as one sub-station that houses both our Fire Prevention Office and our SAFE Officer. Four of these stations were built in the late 1800s and are among the oldest in the region. Our headquarters, built in 1869, is one of the oldest continually operating municipal fire stations in the United States. Central Station is also home to the city’s 911 center, one of the few fire based 911 call centers in the state.
In addition to regularly staffing 5 engines, a ladder truck, an Incident Command vehicle, and Fire Dispatch and 911 Calltaker, Taunton Fire also has a full service dive team made up of 10 divers trained in Rescue Diving and Search and Recovery. The TFD also has multiple members on the Bristol County Tech Rescue Team and the State Hazardous Material Team.
- Central Fire Station dedicated on July 19, 1869 during the Ulysses S Grant Administration.
- The 5 Taunton Fire Stations were independently run until May 1, 1866 at which time they all went under municipal control.
- On January 1, 1867 the first Taunton Fire Badges were issued to all firefighters.
- In December of 1876 the first Gamewell Fire Boxes and municipal fire hydrants went into service.
- After the first full time Fire Chief Edward Mott retired, command was transferred to Chief Abner Coleman, who was know as one of the most aggressive fire chiefs in the country. Chief Coleman was also the architect for both the Bay Street and Weir Street station designs.
- In 1920 Taunton Fire Chief Fred Coleman was elected president of the Massachusetts State Fire Chief’s Association.
- In 1912 the first motorized Engine Company ran out of Central Fire Station.
- On April 2, 1924 the last horses were retired. By that time only Ladder 2 was horse drawn.